Top 5 Questions to Ask at a Weight Loss Seminar
You’ve decided that bariatric surgery is right for you and now you’re headed off to a seminar. It may be hard to think of the right questions to ask your surgeon. We’d like to help by offering the following suggestions that will allow you to learn a little bit more about the surgeon and their practice.
- Is the practice a Center of Excellence facility? COE facilities have been independently verified as meeting or exceeding strict standards of patient care and outcomes by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
- Ask about the surgeon’s experience in each of the major bariatric procedures – gastric banding, gastric bypass and gastric sleeve. You may find that each surgeon has a different specialty and studies show that greater experience is related to lower complication rates and shorter operating times.
- What tools will the practice offer after surgery? Support groups are a must, however do you feel confident your surgeon and their staff will be there for you when you need them for follow-up care? Weight loss is a long-term challenge and you need your surgeon by your side.
- Is your surgeon part of your insurance network? Your insurance policy may cover part of your procedure. If your surgeon is within your network, your out-of-pocket expenses may be cut drastically.
- Ask to meet or speak to former patients of the practice to understand their experiences and how that may translate to yours. What may be a non-issue for someone else could be a big deal for you, so be sure to ask former patients lots of questions.
The free seminars that most practices offer are a great way to gain insight into the journey that lies ahead. You will find that each practice is unique in their approach to surgery and follow-up care. By attending these seminars, you will not only find the right surgeon for you, but you will also fulfill one of the pre-surgery requirements. Remember, the more you know about what lies ahead, the greater your chances of weight loss success.