Top 5 Questions to Ask Yourself
Weight loss surgery is just the beginning. The journey to your ideal weight is one that requires preparation, dedication and education. Your choice of surgeon is only the first step in obesity resolution. Ask yourself the following questions to make sure that you are ready for what lies ahead.
- Am I ready to take on the responsibility of a significant modification of my diet and exercise? Weight loss surgery is only a tool – success depends largely on your willingness to follow behavioral modifications as prescribed by your surgeon.
- Do I understand the risks of bariatric surgery and the particular procedure I will be undergoing? Each procedure has different benefits and risks and educating yourself will make for better outcomes.
- Have I tried hard enough to lose weight through diet and exercise? Weight loss surgery is a last resort for those who are in danger of a whole host of diseases because of obesity. Patients should have made a serious effort at weight loss before turning to surgery.
- Do I have obesity related diseases? In order to qualify for surgery you must show that the procedure is a medical necessity. Obesity related diseases include type-2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and sleep apnea to name a few.
- Do I understand that, except for gastric banding, the weight loss procedures are not reversible? Are you prepared to live the rest of your life eating less and eliminating some of your favorite foods from your diet? Also, know that some procedures require short-term or ongoing nutritional supplementation.
Bariatric surgery is major surgery and requires thought and introspection. A successful surgical procedure is just the beginning , and while the benefits to your life and health are unquestionable, your commitment after surgery will dictate your level of success.