TIF Surgery for GERD/Acid Reflux/Heartburn
Minimally Invasive Surgery for GERD or acid reflux can be the best option for certain patients who have not seen adequate improvement from medications or lifestyle changes. Indeed, medication may not be the best course of action for moderate to severe GERD. Also, patients who do not want to experience the side effects of certain over the counter and prescription GERD medications may be able to achieve long-lasting relief with a simple, incisionless minimally invasive surgical procedure.
We employ the TIF or Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication procedure to correct severe GERD that causes significant quality of life issues. As its name suggests, the procedure does not require any incisions and the entire surgery is performed through the mouth, using the specially made EsophyX device. The TIF procedure essentially rebuilds the barrier between the stomach and esophagus, eliminating acid and non-acid-related symptoms. This is particularly appealing to patients who do not wish to undergo traditional laparoscopic surgery, which may leave unsightly scarring and has several side effects.
Benefits of TIF
- Treats the root cause of GERD
- No incisions or scarring
- Milder side effects than some medications and traditional GERD surgery
- Can be revised if necessary
Risks of TIF
- Side effects are usually short-lived and mild including sore throat, shoulder pain, difficulty swallowing, nausea or vomiting
- Typical risks of minimally invasive surgery which should be discussed at your consultation. These risks may be exacerbated by a patient’s poor health due to obesity or other factors
Only a consultation with a qualified physician can determine the best course of action for your situation. We encourage you to learn more about our minimally invasive surgical options for acid reflux. Please contact us to learn more about whether you qualify for the TIF procedure.